A Good Home, Poetry

The One and Only Cynthia Jobin

Ever lost a blogger friend?

Someone you never met in person but whose posts touched your heart and mind?

Or perhaps that person’s writing made you sit up and say: “Wow. I wish I could write like that!”

Such a  person was Cynthia Jobin.  Her unique voice came through in her marvellous poetry and her responses to comments on her blog. I “heard” it in the email notes she sent me, the reviews of my books that she wrote.

But mostly, in her poems.

Blog Photo - Cynthia Jobin Photo

Modern poets usually intimidate me because half the time I don’t know what they’re trying to say — making me suspect that I must be deeply superficial.

But Cynthia wrote poetry like no-one else I’d ever read.  Deep and moving, yes. But witty, surprising, and funny at times too. You felt you were sharing the joke, not on the outside looking in.

CONVERSATION WITH A CREEK

I will slap your face
I said
and the water said
go right ahead.

I’ll beat you with a stick
I said
and the water said
go right ahead.

I will stomp on you
I said
and the water said
go right ahead.

I’ll cut you with my knife
I said
and the water said
go right ahead.

I will nail you in a box
I said
and the water said
go right ahead

as it glittered
in a zillion squints
of dancing glints
along its pebbly bed.

I may be daft
but that was when
I think I heard
the water laugh.

Cynthia died from cancer days after posting one final poem on December 6, 2016.

An American, Cynthia had entrusted her poems to UK poet John Looker. A new book of her poetry has been published by Bennison Books.

Blog Photo - Book cover of cynthia Jobin book Song of Paper

Amazon.com(https://amzn.to/2A8Pq3d)

Amazon UK(https://amzn.to/2NFTF9M)

In the introduction, John Looker writes about Cynthia’s “unobtrusive intellect at work”. It was one of her special gifts:  she was undeniably brilliant, but not show-offy about it. Her poetry is accessible, even to me.

“The poems in this collection show that variety of theme and equally her range of tone; she would write just for fun as well as with serious intent.

“When reading a new poem from Cynthia Jobin I have always had that comfortable feeling of being in good hands: we know that the verses are going to be impeccably crafted but we can’t predict what path they will take.”

Thank you, John and Bennison Books.

Brava, Cynthia.

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “The One and Only Cynthia Jobin”

1. Lovely tribute – I still miss her too. I have lived on poetry all my life and Cynthia, whose poetry I discovered via her blog only 18 months before she died, brought me immense joy. I was able to get several copies of her first book of poetry, A Certain Age, with its accompanying CD. I am so grateful that I can still hear her voice. I am also grateful to John Looker for seeing through the project of getting her unpublished poetry and much of the earlier work into an easily available book. All around the world people will continue to delight in her writing and remember her.

2. I didn’t follow Cynthia Jobin and was only vaguely aware of her poetry. But it is wonderful to know that her work, and the affection and love she engendered, continue on. And, I agree, it’s wonderful to discover poetry which we can understand. 🙂 🙂

3. This is a beautiful tribute to Cynthia Jobin. I also enjoyed the water poem. I am sorry she has passed. She will live on through her work, and in the hearts and minds of all whom she has touched. I have bookmarked her site to learn more about her.